Sunday, January 9, 2011

Tweetdeck for Android

I had downloaded TweetDeck from the Android market once before but didn't keep it.  To be completely honest, I'm not sure why I uninstalled.  I saw a new post the other day about a recent update and decided to give it another shot.  Also, there is a Chrome app that I downloaded.  Since TweetDeck can check twitter and Facebook, I got rid of my current Tweetcaster and Facebook widgets on my Android phone and switched over to the single TweetDeck widget.  Now the experiment begins to see if one widget updating runs the battery down as much as the two widgets updating separately.  It took me a while to get the whole "column" concept in TweetDeck, but I'm starting to like it.  For example, it allows one to search for something on twitter and make that a column which will also update on an interval.  That's not to mention the whole combined list of showing everything from twitter, Facebook, Buzz, and Foursquare together with different color-coded backgrounds for the particular message source.  The widget needs work.  Would be great to have a full-screen widget that scrolls the column without having to go into the actual application.

I did have some problems with the Chrome app though.  I thought (right or wrong) that logging in to TweetDeck and creating "columns" would also show up the same way on my mobile phone.  Maybe it will but I  haven't played enough with it.  Also, it appears the Chrome app doesn't save the changes across logins. I'm sure this is a bug or something since that's got to be the intent for the single, separate login with TweetDeck.

I'm going to play more and I'll post what I ultimately decide.  Right now I'm more than moderately impressed.

UPDATE:  Really liking the Android version of TweetDeck.  Again, not sure about the Chrome browser app nor the synchronize option in the Android app, but very nice on the battery, eliminates the need for multiple apps, LOVE the column feature for searches/etc.  However, I did hear that Tweetcaster is releasing an update in the next day or so.  I'll definitely have to check that out, but TweetDeck has an upper hand by nicely combining multiple social sites.

No comments: