Wednesday, November 17, 2010

To Root or Not To Root

I've only had my Android phone (Samsung Captivate) for about 4 months or so and am itching to root and mod it.  I'm not 100% convinced I'll get enough out of a rooted phone, but I'm sure if I ever cave in and do it I'll never go back; however, I am a bit worried about getting back to a stock ROM in case I have a hardware issue that requires me to get a warranty replacement.  I've read it will void my warranty and that definitely wouldn't be a good thing if I couldn't get it back to stock.  I've read about Odin and ROM Manager.  It appears that both can get me back to where I need to be if the a problem arose.  Lots more reading on XDA-Developers Forums and some extremely convincing reasons why I should root are still required.

UPDATE:  Z4root in the Android Market is very simple.  Mod'ing on looks really easy with all the other apps out there like ROM Manager, but not to that point yet.

No comments: